Italian Elegance with Oberammergau (Preview 2020)
Italian Elegance With Oberammergau (Preview 2020)
Experience the epitome of picture-postcard Italy’s historic cities, exquisite resorts, rustic towns and idyllic fishing villages. Head behind the scenes in the Vatican as the Bramante staircase is opened just for you. Photo: Oberammergau Passion Play 2020
Additional Included Highlights
- Rome: Enjoy a private guided tour of St Peter’s Basilica.
- Florence: During your guided walking tour, see the cathedral, the bell tower, ‘Gates of Paradise’ on the baptistery and visit Signoria Square
- Witness a leather-work demonstration.
- Italian Lakes: Join us in the social ritual of ‘La Passeggiata’.
- Verona: See the well preserved Roman Arena and stand beneath Juliet’s balcony in the courtyard of a Renaissance villa.
- Venice: Cruise to St Mark’s Square by private launch
- See St Mark’s Basilica, the bell tower, clock tower, Doges’ Palace and Bridge of Sighs.
- Scenic Drives: Tuscan Hills, Apennines, Dolomites, Italian Lake District.
- Venice: Enjoy a Venetian Celebration Dinner with wine in a restaurant in the heart of this historic city.
- San Gimignano: Ascend serpentine alleyways to the artisan ice-cream parlour of World Champion gelato Maestro, Sergio Dondoli for a taste of his finest frozen treats.
- Tuscany: In the Tuscan countryside, where deep-green cypress trees pierce blue skies and olive groves hug the rolling hillsides, taste the wines of an eminent estate.
- Lucca: Sample ‘Buccellato’, the sweet raisin bread typical of the region.
- Oberammergau: Dine in a local restaurant amid the buzz of excitement from Passion Play goers and enjoy local hospitality before the second half commences.
- Dining Summary: 10 Breakfasts (B) and 6 Dinners (D) with wine (DW).
- Rome: Gain VIP entrance into the Vatican Museums and be among the select few to admire the Renaissance Bramante Staircase, off limits to the general public. Once through the Popes’ treasure-trove, you confront the genius of Michelangelo in the Sistine Chapel.
Stay in Style
- Tuscany: The Signature Borgo San Luigi is a restored 17th century country palazzo, once owned by the Duchy of Tuscany, offering high-quality service in a peaceful, relaxed setting in the heart of the Tuscan countryside.
- Cortina d’Ampezzo Encircled by the beautiful Dolomite Alps, Cortina’s delightful Hotel Ancora is built in the characteristic Ampezzano style with wooden balconies and intricately carved and painted interior details.
Top Rated Highlights
- Venice: To the tune of accompanying musicians, you will be serenaded through the atmospheric canals by gondola, past water-lapped doorways and Rococo palaces where the likes of Casanova would have come calling.
- Rome: Visit the Colosseum, still echoing with the thronging crowds and ghostly cries of gladiatorial combat.
- Florence: Stand beside Michelangelo’s monumental statue, ‘David’, in the Accademia Gallery, while an art expert explains the exquisite technique and absorbing history behind the world’s most famous sculpture.
- Siena: Explore medieval Siena with a Local Expert and visit the cathedral.
- Cinque Terre: Explore two of the idyllic villages of this UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Portofino: Cruise from Santa Margherita and get a taste of the sweet life in this elegant fishing village.
- Oberammergau: Experience the spectacular Passion Play that has made this town famous. Watch from your premium seat as local villagers perform as they have since 1634 in this once in a decade event. An emotive and critically acclaimed performance depicting Christ’s last days, this is an event not to be missed.
Included Insight Services
- Our highly-skilled Insight Tour Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend in a foreign land
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight’s luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat touring coach, with extended Business Class legroom and on-board restroom
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert’s fascinating commentary
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included; you’ll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency
- Plus, we include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available)
- From time to time, your Tour Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish – a local tidbit representing authentic food or beverages unique to the destination
- Included airport transfers at scheduled times on arrival and departure days.
- Should your flights not coincide with these transfers, or additional accommodation has been booked through Insight Vacations, charged transfers are available. Alternatively, please make your own way from/to the airport.
Welcome to the Eternal City of Rome.
Exploring the Vatican City.
Renaissance Florence and on to Monteriggioni.
Gelato in San Gimignano and Siena.
The Chianti Hills to Pisa, Lucca and Santa Margherita.
The Cinque Terre.
Portofino and onto Lake Maggiore.
Fair Verona and into the Dolomites to Cortina d’Ampezzo.
Experience the Dolomites.
Venice, Queen of the Adriatic.
Venice at Leisure.
From the lakes of Venice to mountain-ringed Innsbruck.
Innsbruck to Oberammergau.
The Passion Play.