Classical Sri Lanka (Summer 2019)
Classical Sri Lanka (Summer 2019)
Discover the history, cultural highlights and scenic beauty of this tear-shaped island, including visits to the local markets and the archeological marvel of Polonnaruwa. Stay in luxury in the misty hills of Nuwara Eliya, savour the freshest tea possible during a plantation visit and take in the wondrous mountain ranges from the Mahaweli Reach Hotel.
- Negombo: Join your Travelling Concierge and get to know your fellow travellers during your Welcome Dinner.
- Nuwara Eliya: Walk through the tea plantations and reach the home of local tea pluckers to experience their lifestyle as you join the family for a meal. The culinary experience is completely different to that of general Sri Lankan cuisine as the origin is from Southern India.
- Colombo: Your mouth-watering Celebration Dinner features the best of Sri Lankan cuisine.
- Dining Summary: 8 Breakfasts (B), 1 Lunch (L), 5 Dinners (D) and 2 Dinners with Wine (DW). Festive Highlight Dinner: 21 Dec departure includes a Christmas Eve Highlight Dinner in Kandy.
- Negombo: During your guided tour of a local pineapple plantation, learn all about the cultivation and harvesting of this tropical fruit.
- Anuradhapura: With your Travelling Concierge you will visit the former capital of Sri Lanka, Anuradhapura. Admire the architectural wonders of this first-kingdom that ruled for a thousand years.
- Sigiriya: Visit this famous fortress set upon its prominent rocky outcrop.
- Polonnaruwa: Your visit to the archaeological park will reveal what life in the area was like when the city was thriving, 800-years-ago.
- Dambulla: See Raja Maha Vihara – the most impressive of Sri Lanka’s Cave Temples.
- Kandy: Visit the site of the Sacred Tooth Relic Temple.
- Kandy: Enjoy a traditional dance performance in the evening.
- Nuwara Eliya: Join your Local Expert to visit a tea plantation and learn how this crop is produced. You’ll even have the opportunity to experience the traditional technique of tea-leaf picking, before sampling some of the freshest tea possible.
- Nuwara Eliya: The city is reminiscent of its British character – see the colonial-era bungalows and Tudor-style building with pretty gardens during your evening orientation with your Travelling Concierge.
- Galle: During your orientation of this UNESCO World Heritage Site see the ramparts of the fort.
- Galle: A Local Expert will guide you through your visit to Galle Fort, sharing his passion for the city with you as you learn about the history and culture of this living fortified city.
- Negombo: Relax after your flight, at the fantastic beach-side Jetwing Beach. With spacious guest rooms and wonderful facilities, including a large outdoor pool and spa. This is a great place to start your holiday.
- Habarana: Offering bungalow-style rooms surrounded by greenery, Habarana Village is a perfect location to explore the Cultural Triangle. The hotel features an outdoor pool and facilities for tennis, volleyball and badminton.
- Kandy: Situated along the banks of Mahaweli River, Mahaweli Reach Hotel offers 5-star accommodation with rolling mountains as a backdrop. It features a large outdoor pool, an ayurvedic centre and fitness facilities.
- Colombo: Lakeside Colombo sits in the heart of Colombo, nestled between a lake and the bustling city, creating the perfect, urban getaway.
- Kandy: Enjoy a wonderful afternoon with Rahju, a local artist, at his hilltop cottage overlooking the Hunas range and receive insider access to his private studio. Discuss art, mysticism, religion, and the cosmos with him over a cup of tea and let him show you how his work has been influenced by these themes and how it has evolved over the years. Enjoy a private viewing of Rahju’s magnificent paintings. Enjoy a cup of tea at his studio and discuss his unique perspectives on life.
Inclusive Luxury Gold Services
- You will be escorted by one of our fine Travelling Concierges, handpicked to serve as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas. See booking conditions for exemptions.
- Luxury Gold is proud to offer various modes of transportation, from luxury coach to included flight to safari jeep and more, so that you always travel in comfort and experience your journey and destination in the best possible and most appropriate way.
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert’s fascinating commentary, available on departures with 15 or more guests.
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included – you’ll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
- From time to time, your Travelling Concierge will enchant you with a Luxury Gold Flourish, which is a local speciality representing the destination.
- At every hotel, you’ll be treated to seamless baggage handling, with prompt delivery inside your room.
- Complimentary, private airport transfers are included on start and end dates and when additional accommodation has been booked through Luxury Gold.
Negombo, Sun, Sails and Sea.
Habarana and the Cultural Triangle.
Rock fortresses and archaeological relics.
Cave Temples of Dambulla.
Tea Plantations in Little England.
Nuwara Eilya at Leisure.
The Fortified City of Galle.
Leave Galle, Depart Colombo.