Fort St. Catherine

POINTS OF INTEREST

Fort St. Catherine

This restored hilltop fort is arguably the most formidable looking one on the island. Surrounded by a dry moat and accessed by a drawbridge, it has enough tunnels, towers, redoubts, and ramparts to satisfy even the most avid military historian—or adrenaline-fueled child. The original fort was built around 1614 by Bermuda's first governor, Richard Moore, but it was remodeled and enlarged at least five times. In fact, work continued on it until late in the 19th century. On-site an intriguing collection of antique weapons complements the impressive architecture. Standing out among the pistols and muskets is an 18-ton muzzle-loading cannon, which was capable of firing 400-pound shells a full half mile.

BACK TO ST. GEORGE'S AND THE EASTERN PARISHES

Ready for a trip of a lifetime to St Georges And The Eastern Parishes?

CONTACT US TODAY

Please don't close or refresh the page while we are processing your submission
Please be patient, this could take a few minutes.