Country Roads of Switzerland (Preview 2020)
Country Roads Of Switzerland (Preview 2020)
An intimate journey of discovery amid stunning Alpine panoramas. This itinerary includes riding on the famous Glacier Express and staying in some of Switzerland’s most enchanting hotels.
- Lake Geneva: Visit Domaine Bovy, a family-run winery overlooking Lake Geneva. After a tasting enjoy delicious Farm-to-Table fare, of course accompanied with these local wines.
- Zermatt: Choose between fine local restaurants, with an option to experience the typical Swiss meal of fondue, on your Dine-Around Evening.
- Zürich: Raise your glass and enjoy a delicious dinner at a local restaurant for your Celebration Dinner.
- Dining Summary: 13 Breakfasts (B) and 5 Dinners with Wine (DW) all with tea or coffee.
- Stanserhorn: Embark on a spectacular journey to the summit of Mount Stanserhorn and appreciate unrivalled views of snow-capped peaks. Meet a Swiss Ranger and learn about the local wildlife.
- Bellinzona: Julia Guidotti is your Local Expert as you explore this UNESCO World Heritage Site, known as the capital of Italian Switzerland. Having married and now living in the region, Julia is very passionate to share her story and why she loves the area.
Stay in Style
- Montreux: Located in the heart of Montreux, the Grand Hotel Suisse Majestic of boasts luxurious facilities and spectacular views of Lake Geneva.
- Zermatt: The unique Resort Hotel Alex is one of Switzerland’s most original hotels, cleverly combining modern and traditional elements into a hospitality experience that’s full of fun and surprises.
- St. Moritz: The elegant Crystal Hotel is located close to shops in the town centre, where all the prestigious names, including Chanel, Gucci and Louis Vuitton are lined up together.
- Grindelwald: The stately Romantik Hotel Schweizerhof place you minutes away from the village center and offers a range of boutique facilities.
Top Rated Highlights
- Zürich: Your Travel Director will show you the Bahnhofstrasse, Grossmünster, River Limmat and Frauenmünster.
- Lucerne: During your orientation with your Travel Director, see the emotive Lion Monument, Jesuit Church and Chapel Bridge.
- Bern: Your exploration with a local historian through Switzerland’s capital includes seeing the floral displays, Bear Pits, Cathedral of St. Vincent, Federal Palace, clock tower and Ogre Fountain.
- Gruyères : Travel along valley floors covered with rich meadowland, to the pretty town of Gruyères. Your Travel Director leads an orientation tour where you will see See the main street and 13th century castle.
- Montreux: At the foot of the Alps this town boasts one of the most beautiful walks along Lake Geneva and there is free time to explore.
- Chillon Castle: Led by your Local Expert, visit the castle set on a rocky islet in the lake. Following his walk through the dungeons in 1816, Lord Byron wrote the poem ‘The Prisoner of Chillon’. Look out for his name, which he carved into a pillar.
- Geneva: During your orientation, your Travel Director will show you the Jet d’Eau, Floral Clock and Reformation Monument.
- Lake Geneva: Enjoy first-class seats as you cruise on the serene waters of the King of Lakes, inspiration to the early Romantic movement.
- Martigny: View the Roman Amphitheatre during your orientation.
- Sion: Your Travel Director will show you the two fortress-churches, the cathedral and Old Town Hall.
- Zermatt: Ride the shuttle trains of the Matterhorn Gotthard Railway up to the traffic-free Alpine resort. Should weather permit, you may even see the majestic peak of the Matterhorn.
- Zermatt: Your Travel Director will lead you on an orientation of this picturesque village, high in the mountains.
- Baveno: During your orientation with your Travel Director see the cobbled streets and 16th century square.
- St. Moritz: During your orientation of this alpine resort see the spa quarter and glacial lake.
- St. Moritz: If you think there’s no such thing as a free ride, you’d be mistaken! With your inclusive pass, travel on 13 cable cars, funiculars, chairlifts and select public transport options (when available). The crisp Alpine air is included in the deal.
- Glacier Express: Travel on-board the world-famous Glacier Express, journeying through looping tunnels and dizzying viaducts. Enjoy a glorious adventure in the scenic heart of the Swiss Alps, only possible by rail.
- Lauterbrunnen: Enjoy your orientation of the village that takes its name from ‘many fountains,’ referring to the 72 waterfalls that are within the surrounding valley.
- Staubbach Falls: In the Valley of the Waterfalls, witness these magnificent falls that plunge 300 metres.
- Grindelwald: Explore this glacier village during an orientation led by your Travel Director.
- Brienz: Learn the history of woodcarving at the Jobin Swiss Woodcarving Centre.
- Scenic Drives: Swiss countryside is some of the most beautiful in the world. Enjoy drives along Lake Geneva, passing the Vaud Alps and Rhône Valley. Continue through the Simplon Pass, Italian Lake District, Grison Region, San Bernardino, Julier Pass and Engadine Valley. Journey by the Schöllenen Gorge, Grindelwald Valley, through the Brünig Pass and pass Lakes Lungern and Sarnen.
Included Insight Services
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight’s luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom.
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert’s fascinating commentary.
Welcome to Lucerne.
Ascend the summit of Mount Stanserhorn.
Bern, Gruyères and Montreux.
Lake Geneva & the Swiss Countryside.
Geneva and Scenic Lake Cruise Experience.
Martigny, Sion and the Matterhorn Village of Zermatt.
Zermatt at Leisure.
The Italian Lake District to Baveno.
The Glamour and Glitz of St. Moritz.
Leisure Time in St. Moritz.
The Glacier Express and on to Grindelwald.
Grindelwald at Leisure.
Rural Switzerland to Zürich.