Country Roads of Umbria & Tuscany (Preview 2020)
Country Roads Of Umbria & Tuscany (Preview 2020)
This magical journey devotes quality time to the medieval hill towns and evocative landscapes of Italy’s two most famous regions. Enjoy favorite recipes and classic wines as you meet with local people to hear their fascinating stories.
- Orvieto: Meet Etruscan Chef Lorenzo Polegri, who shares his virtuoso cooking skills, followed by a memorable Highlight Lunch with wine.
- Perugia: You are offered a selection of restaurants on your Dine-Around Evening. Choose your own ambience, cuisine and drinks for an intimate culinary experience.
- Mount Subasio: Follow the evolution of the olive, from tree to table, with a tasting at a family-run olive mill.
- San Gimignano: Meet world champion gelato maestro, Sergio Dondoli, and sample silky frozen treats in a range of unique flavours.
- Tuscany: Nestled in the rolling hills surrounding Sam Gimignano and surrounded by its own vineyards, olive groves, saffron crop and orchards, is the homely Il Vecchio Maneggio. Admire the beautiful views as you enjoy a drink before sitting down to your Celebration Dinner – a delicious Farm-to-Table experience, with all the organic produce sourced from the surrounding farm.
- Dining Summary: 8 Breakfasts (B), 1 Lunch with Wine (LW) and 4 Dinners with Wine (DW) all with tea or coffee.
- Vatican City: Gain VIP access into the Vatican Museums and be among the select few to admire the famous Bramante Staircase. Admire the Popes’ treasure-trove and witness the genius of Michelangelo in the Sistine Chapel. Venture inside St. Peter’s Basilica and see Michelangelo’s Piet, and the splendid dome.
- Perugia: Meet Marta, recipient of a TreadRight Foundation grant. Learn how Marta and her weavers are preserving the ancient craft of loom-weaving at their artisanal workshop.
Top Rated Highlights
- Rome: See the mighty Colosseum and Roman Forum. You will also see other medieval buildings, including Renaissance palaces and Baroque churches, scattered throughout the city.
- Orvieto: During your orientation of this Umbrian hilltop town with your Travel Director, visit Piazza del Duomo to admire the cathedral.
- Perugia: Join a Local Expert to navigate the underground labyrinth of little streets, alleys and arches. Promenade the wide Corso Vannucci, resplendent in pale pink stone, past the princely Priors’ Palace, cathedral and finely sculptured Great Fountain in the main square.
- Assisi: See St. Mary of the Angels Church and join your Local Expert to walk through the cobbled streets to St. Clare’s Church and see the cathedral.
- Assisi: A Local Expert will explain why the Basilica of St. Francis is considered one of the crowning achievements of medieval Europe.
- Siena: With your Local Expert explore the cobbles streets of Siena. Learn about the Palio horse race while standing in Piazza del Campo. See the 14th century Town Hall and its Mangia Tower.
- Siena: Led by your Local Expert, wander your way through the medieval streets to visit the black-and-white striped marble cathedral.
- San Gimignano: Explore the stunning hilltop town with your Travel Director. Navigate the winding streets, hunting out the towers and palaces for which it is so famous.
- Florence: View the city skyline from the sumptuous terrace of Piazzale Michelangelo. Explore the city and its landmarks with your Local Expert – see the domed cathedral, it’s adjacent baptistery with its Gates of Paradise, and the open-air gallery of Piazza della Signoria.
- Venice: With your Travel Director cruise to St. Mark’s Square and see the Doge’s Palace, Bridge of Sighs and St. Mark’s Basilica.
- Venice: To the tune of accompanying musicians, you will be serenaded through the atmospheric canals by gondola, past water-lapped doorways and Rococo palaces.
Included Insight Services
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight’s luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom.
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert’s fascinating commentary.
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door.
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included – you’ll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
- From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination.
- If your arrival and/or departure flights are as per the itinerary start and end dates, then transfers are available at scheduled times. If your flights are outside these times, or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Vacations, you may purchase transfers or make your own way from/to the airport.
Welcome to Rome.
Sistine Chapel, Cooking in Orvieto and on to Perugia.
Perugia Sightseeing & Free Time.
Assisi, in Search of St. Francis.
Tuscany to Cortona, Siena and San Gimignano.
San Gimignano sightseeing and Free Time.
Florence and Tuscan Countryside Experience.
Venice and the Magic of La Serenissima.